Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mt. Dulac, my first podium in elite

Granted it is only an age group podium but I got a medal. Although it doesn't feel completely legit because Andy, who is clearly faster than me, crashed somewhere on the 4th lap and started cramping so I was able to catch up. I hope he gets better.

Still, I felt good overall. The first climb at the start is brutal. Nearly all grass from the bottom of the ski hill straight up. No switch backs to rest, just full on leg power. Either stand and grind or granny spin--pick your pain.
I still haven't gone just full out on a start yet this season and it continues to put me in bad placing in the singletrack. If Dana's race pictures are in order I am about 22nd on the first lap and that is after passing a few people. That means I had to make up 10-11 spots throughout the race. One dude from PennCycle I passed even yelled kiddingly, "I'm sick of you passing me on the first lap, you need to get better starts." (at least I think he was kidding)


Photo chronological complements o' Dana Schoppe.

Ooh, that must have been a tough 1 1/2 mph corner--look at the concentration.



Dana getting a little artistic with the landscape shot. I'm easily up to 4mph here.

























Weeee, downhills are fun....


Nice dopey smile as I ignore my rival's offer to shake on it


Oop, there's the fist pump--still apparently don't want to shake. I did finally come out of my daze and notice the guy sticking his hand out. At least I've got my recovery drink in hand and a back up in the ol' pocket. You don't see that on a roadie podium :()

With 3rd age group and 13th overall my first season goal to podium at least once is met. Payouts were only 9 deep this time. I've got a bit a work ahead but I'd love to get just one check this season too.

1 comment:

Rhody said...

Nice work! Ditto on what the guy from Penn said - I'm also sick of you passing me on lap 2 every week at Buck. We need to get you front line start one of these weeks.